This has been one tough summer and fall. It seems that the more I worked this year, the further behind I got, Needless to say, my postings the last few months have suffered, or should I say been non-existent. But here I am. In the last few days, I have had a little time to start concentrating again on catching up the the post’s I had planned.
Several have asked how the greenhouse was coming along, since this was my major project this year. I must say that I am pretty happy with the exterior which completed phase 1. But now we have been focusing on the inside: plumbing, electric, and heat.
These have been major undertakings, but we have now completed them and have added our aquaponics tanks.
We are still in the process of “cycling” our aquaponics tanks to get the proper bacteria forming on the grow media. The ph, nitrites, and and nitrates must be in range before we can add our tilapia stock, but all is coming along.
The first tank seemed to be pretty good so I added 5 of my adult tilapia and after 3 days, they are doing very well. We also added just a few plants (herbs) to the grow bed to help with bacteria growth and filtration.
Since the tanks for tilapia must be maintained
at a constant temperature, I am still using electric heaters to insure the temperature never goes below 70 degrees. Most of the time the tanks are maintained at 85 degrees.
I did take the time also to add a strawberry barrel to the greenhouse, so we should have some fresh strawberries before long. That will be a nice addition this winter!
Well with winter setting in on the mid-atlantic region and the almanac calling for a cold, wet winter, I am glad I was able to get this project completed. I can comfortably work in the greenhouse all winter and have some great fresh vegetables and tilapia all year!
Stories on our aquaponics :